Saturday, March 22, 2014

Full-employment, Progressive Era style. Nice photo of bowling pin setters in 1910.

This photo accompanies a nice article on "The Rise and Fall of Professional Bowling". 

It was taken in 1910.   From Wikipedia, here is the description of it:
1:00 A.M. Pin boys working in Subway Bowling Alleys, 65 South St., B'klyn, N.Y. every night. 3 smaller boys were kept out of the photo by Boss. Location: New York--Brooklyn, New York (State) Hine, Lewis Wickes, 1874-1940, photographer. April, 1910
Child Labor in action.  Nice illustration for a history class.

I am 53 years old and I remember watching bowling on TV in the late 60's.  I was a big deal! But I missed its real heyday long prior to that (pre and post WWII).

If you are interested in the subject or just like reading about historical cultural niches that people have mostly forgot, then this may be for you.

Source: Priceonomics

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats