Saturday, September 21, 2013

Terrific document showing the changes in the components of "The Dow" over time. Makes me feel old...

The companies that comprise the "Dow Jones Industrial Average" (DJIA), or "The Dow", changes over time to reflect the changing nature of the US economy.

This is a neat lesson in "Creative Destruction" that takes place over time and how the rise of one industry can precipitate the fall of another (and vice versa, I suppose).  What is important in one era is a footnote in another.  BUT without the former it is not likely the latter would exist.  It is an interesting discussion to have.

If you are an old-time like me it is amazing to see some of the names that were eminent in my day are either gone of much less significant.

HT: The Big Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

View My Stats